The initial development of the Proteus bus within the scope of the CNES/Alcatel partnership was governed by a specific agreement between the two partners. The Jason-1 satellite was built under contract to CNES.
Since 2000, the industrial organization of the post Jason-1 missions is as follows:
- A framework contract with Alcatel covers:
- Upgrading of the Jason-1 platform for future missions
- Supply of 5 equipment and platform sets
- Setting of "standard" engineering service prices for satellites using the Proteus bus
- Maintenance of the industrial facilities for CNES needs: benches, GSE, study and simulation models
- Satellite contracts are established on a case-by-case basis, depending on CNES programmatic decisions and rely on the framework contract for the bus, standard services and general facilities. They define specific services for the mission, scheduling and planning, and specific contractor responsibilities up to the end of in-orbit commissioning.